1896
1899
1900
1905
1909
1910
1911
1915
1916
1928
1940
1947
1950
1952
1979
1982
2000
2000

First Petition

First petition for a Torquay school
Torquay PS Committed to children in our community 1900-2000

Residents submitted the first petition to the Education Department for a school for Torquay  in April, 1896. At that time 21 children were in need of Education, and the petition was signed by T O’Farrell, John Brown, A Baensch, J Ashmore, F Rosser, A Payne, A McMillan, and J A Wilson,

A month later O’Farrell suggested that a hall belonging to the “Spring Creek Improvement Society” would be suitable.

School Recommended

Torquay school, Torquay history
Torquay PS Committed to children in our community 1900-2000

In March 1899, a further petition was presented to the Education Department, signed by S. Ware, E. Edwards & E. Payne, citing that 17 children needed schooling. The District Inspector, Mr A Jackson, recommended that a school be established.

School Opens

Alice Meagher, Head Teacher opened TORQUAY STATE SCHOOL in the Presbyterian Church / Public Hall with 16 students enrolled.

The newly built Presbyterian Church, a building 25ft X 20ft, was leased from May 1st, 1900, at an annual rental of  seven pounds, ten shillings, but School No.3368 did not open until September 23rd, 1900 when Alice Meagher assumed duty as Head; she remained in charge until August, 1907.

Because the Church building proved too cold and draughty, the school moved into the Torquay Improvement Association Recreation Hall on June 13th, 1901, the rental being ten pounds per annum. In 1903 the enrollment was 16 and, the following year the rent was reduced to seven pounds, ten shillings.

Land Purchased

In 1905, the Education Department purchased 5 acres in the Spring Creek Estate from John Baensch and Adolf Pohl for £150. The site was lots 97 to 116, with a 660 ft frontage to Boston Road and 660 ft to Bristol Road.

Torquay New State School Movement formed

From April,1909, the rental of the hall was increased to 20 pounds per annum. There were 35 pupils on the roll in February. Mr W Rice, Hon. Secretary of the ‘Torquay New State School Movement’ obtained “300 odd” signatures of parents and ratepayers who wanted a new school building on the Departmental site.

School House Occupied

A small, single room schoolhouse, lighted and ventilated was erected, the design deliberately allowed for extension when student numbers reached 43. It was first occupied on Wednesday 22 June 1910.

School Committee Formed

Torquay Primary School
Torquay PS Committed to children in our community 1900-2000

The first School Committee was formed in 1911 however, the first recorded meeting was held on January 27th, 1912.

The earliest record of the school still in existence is the Absence Register, started in 1902. Whilst giving no evidence of pupils, this mould spotted little book provides much information on the trials and tribulations of a succession of devoted teachers until 1959. As, with a firm flourishing hand, Alice E Meagher recorded that first absence in that register, little did she realise its value to the historian.

Committee c1914. L-R standing: Mr Essington, A. Edmonds (Head Teacher), William Rice, Leslie Austin, David Austin, L-R sitting: Mrs Jack Smith & Mrs Felix Rosser

School Growth

In 1914, with 39 students enrolled, Head Teacher, Essington Edmonds, complained to the Education Department that the school was too small and needs to be enlarged.

Further enrolments the following year raised student numbers to 49. J. Dew, reported that the school needs to be enlarged to accommodate 60 students.

School House Enlarged

The school house was enlarged after there were complaints about students taking lessons in the shelter sheds.

Cows in the yard

S. Bensch complains of cows getting into the school grounds through the fence.

Town on fire

In the devastating Torquay bushfire the school lost the girls toilets, shelter shed, fencing, lawn mower and a tool box.

Electricity

Electric lights are now used in the school.

The Kiosk

Lessons were held in “The Kiosk” on The Esplanade as the school was being refurbished to create two classrooms.

Mother's Club

A Mothers’ Club was formed in August and a five-roomed residence was completed in February 1952.

Library Extension

With the growth of Torquay the school had a number of additions made. By the late 1960’s the enrolment had increased to 200, and continued expansion seemed inevitable. By 1977 the School Council were concerned about the need to provide additional facilities at the school, particularly for art and craft, multi-purpose activities, and staff and administrative requirements. Discussions were also taking place with the City of South Barwon for an extension of the existing library, constructed in 1975, for community use. The extensions to the library were carried out as a joint project between the Department and the City of South Barwon in 1979.

Buildings Upgrade

Torquay School Facelift
Torquay PS Committed to children in our community 1900-2000

In 1982 the whole school buildings were upgraded under the “core-plus” scheme, whereby a “core” of buildings provided facilities for staff and administration, art/craft, multi-purpose use and a canteen, and a “plus” of re-locatable general purpose classrooms of a new design. In doing this, part of the old school was demolished.

Birthday Celebrations

The school celebrated its 100 years with 650 students

On the Move

In 2000 the 52 staff and 650 students moved into new premises on Grossman’s Road, Torquay.

Torquay State School No:3368

Although established on 1st of May 1900 in temporary accommodation (the newly-built Presbyterian Church) HT Alice Meagher did not open the school until 23rd of September with 16 children. The school moved to the Recreation Hall on 13th of June 1901 and in 1905, a 5 acre site on Lots 97 to 116 in Bristol Rd, township of Torquay, Parish of Puebla, County· of Grant, was purchased by the Department. A weatherboard, single-room school, 21ftx20ft was constructed on the site and occupied on 22nd of June 1910. With the growth of population in Torquay, the school has had several rooms added at different times and now has six classrooms accommodating an enrolment of 200. A five-room residence was constructed and occupied on 2nd of February 1952.

– Vision & Realisation (1973)

First petition for a Torquay school

The first petition for a school for Torquay was presented in April, 1896. At that time 21 children were in need of Education, and the petition was signed by T O’Farrell, John Brown, A Baensch, J Ashmore, F Rosser, A Payne, A McMillan, and J A Wilson. 

A month later O’Farrell suggested that a hall belonging to the “Spring Creek Improvement Society” would be suitable. In March 1899, a further petition mentioned that 17 children needed schooling. The District Inspector, Mr A Jackson, recommended that a school be established.

The newly-built Presbyterian Church, a building 25ft X 20ft, was leased from May 1st, 1900, at an annual rental of #7.10.0d, but School No.3368 did not open until September 23rd, 1900 when Alice Meagher assumed duty as Head; she remained in charge until August, 1907.

Because the Church building proved too cold and draughty, the school moved into the Recreation Hall on June 13th, 1901, the rental being £10 per annum. In 1903 the enrollment was 16 and, the following year the rent was reduced to £7.10.0d.

In 1905, the Education Department purchased 5 acres in the Spring Creek Estate from John Baensch and Adolf Pohl for £150. The site was lots 97 to 116, with a 660 ft frontage to Boston Road and 660 ft to Bristol Road.

From April,1909, the rental of the hall was increased to £20 per annum. There were 35 pupils on the roll in February. That year, Mr W Rice, Hon. Secretary of the ‘Torquay New State School Movement’ obtained “300 odd” signatures of parents and ratepayers who wanted a new school building on the Departmental site.

The Geelong Advertiser reported on December 24th, 1909:-
Plans had been issued by the Department of Public Works for the erection of a new State school at Torquay. Spacious class-rooms are provided and the system of ventilation and lighting will be on the latest scientific lines. Tenders will be dealt with on January 14th and the building will be ready of occupation early in the winter.

Something must have changed because, on January 11th following, the “spacious class-rooms” Had been reduced to one as reported by the Geelong advertiser that day….
A small but neat building, lighted and ventilated on the latest approved lines, is to be erected for State school purposes at Torquay. There will be one classroom 21ft 6ins by 20ft, and the porch will be 9ft 6ins by 9ft. The walls and chimney will be so constructed as to permit of the duplication of the building when the class roll extends.

The estimated cost of the building was £285 and designed to accommodate 43 pupils. It was first occupied on Wednesday June 22nd. 1910. In that month, the Head Teacher, Rose T White wrote:-
We hope shortly to have some opening ceremony when I hope the members of the Board of Advice will be present.

Also in September 1910, a shelter shed was built at a cost of £17.10.0, half of which was paid by September.

Torquay Primary School
Committee c1914. L-R standing: Mr Essington, A. Edmonds (Head Teacher), William Rice, Leslie Austin, David Austin, L-R sitting: Mrs Jack Smith & Mrs Felix Rosser

The first School Committee was formed in 1911 however, the first recorded meeting was held on January 27th, 1912.

The earliest record of the school still in existence is the Absence Register, started in 1902. Whilst giving no evidence of pupils, this mould spotted little book provides much information on the trials and tribulations of a succession of devoted teachers until 1959. As, with a firm flourishing hand, Alice E Meagher recorded that first absence in that register, little did she realise its value to the historian.

torquay-school--14
torquay-school--4
torquay-school--10
torquay-school--2
torquay-school--11
torquay-school--14
torquay-school--4
torquay-school--10
torquay-school--2
torquay-school--11

A Mothers’ Club was formed in August 1951 and a five-roomed residence was completed in February 1952.

With the growth of Torquay the school had a number of additions made. By the late 1960’s the enrollment had increased to 200, and continued expansion seemed inevitable. By 1977 the School Council were concerned about the need to provide additional facilities at the school, particularly for art and craft, multi-purpose activities, and staff and administrative requirements. Discussions were also taking place with the City of South Barwon for an extension of the existing library, constructed in 1975, for community use. The extensions to the library were carried out as a joint project between the Department and the City of South Barwon in 1979.

Torquay School Facelift

In 1982 the whole school buildings were upgraded under the “core-plus” scheme, whereby a “core” of buildings provided facilities for staff and administration, art/craft, multi-purpose use and a canteen, and a “plus” of re-locatable general purpose classrooms of a new design. In doing this, part of the old school was demolished.

The updated facilities were designed to cater for an enrolment of 350. Since 1982 school enrolments have exceeded that figure and so additional relocatable classrooms have been placed on site, the last one in May 1987.

Torquay Primary School Play
Torquay Primary students with sports shield
Torquay Primary marching team

Torquay State School history book