Torquay School Opens

Alice Meagher, Head Teacher opened TORQUAY STATE SCHOOL in the Presbyterian Church / Public Hall with 16 students enrolled.

The newly built Presbyterian Church, a building 25ft X 20ft, was leased from May 1st, 1900, at an annual rental of  seven pounds, ten shillings, but School No.3368 did not open until September 23rd, 1900 when Alice Meagher assumed duty as Head; she remained in charge until August, 1907.

Because the Church building proved too cold and draughty, the school moved into the Torquay Improvement Association Recreation Hall on June 13th, 1901, the rental being ten pounds per annum. In 1903 the enrollment was 16 and, the following year the rent was reduced to seven pounds, ten shillings.