Timeline

1918
1918

Tennis Anyone

Torquay Tennis Team Beale Street
Tennis was a popular recreational activity and because the tourists expected tennis courts the Torquay Improvement Association built two courts at the rear of the hall. The courts fronted Beales Street. The first known committee was formed on 16 March 1918 with E. Taylor, F. Gilbert, G.L. Battern, R. C. Hocking and T.K. McFarlane.
1920
1920

New Golf Club

Early Torquay Golf Club House

At a meeting attended by about 25 members of the community, a new Golf Committee was formed for the new nine-hole golf course opposite the Palace Hotel under the control of the Torquay Reserves Committee. The course covered about 50 acres with a view to the future development of another nine-holes. The new club was to be called “The Torquay Golf Club”, and Mr A. Crowe was elected President.

1921
1921

Taylor Park

Gates Taylor Park Torquay

Taylor Park was named in memory of John William Taylor who contributed significantly to the development of Torquay, particularly in his role as President of the Torquay Improvement Association for many years. In this role, he was instrumental in keeping the allotments making up Taylor Park from being offered for sale and the Crown Land Auctions.

1924
1924

New Bowls

    The Torquay Bowling Club was formed after the Torquay Improvement Association called a public meeting in response to newspaper reports the town needed more recreational activities for visitors. Carl Voss created the first green. It was also intended to have a ladies croquet green adjoining the bowling greens.

    1928
    1928

    Lights On

    Lights On

    Torquay was given its power supply turning on electric globes across the town. As the power was switched on several streetlamps, shops and houses were flooded with light. Oil lamps and candles gave way to electric power.

    1936
    1936

    Erosion Destroying Beach

      At the turn of the century the Torquay Reserves Committee had many issues to face, but none worse than loosing the sand on the most popular family beach we now call Cosy Corner, back then it was sometimes referred to as Scammell Bay.
      To resolve the issue Groynes and improvements to the sea wall were underway to stop erosion at Cosy Corner or Scammell Bay as it was sometimes referred to in the Geelong Advertiser.

      1940
      1940

      Fire!

        After the train passed a property in Moriac a fire started. It swept through many properties destroying stacks of hay, miles of fencing and livestock trapped against the fencing. Although a warning was sent to Torquay efforts to stop the fire from entering the town were no match for the fire fanned by a strong north to north-westerly wind.
        The fire entered Torquay at two points – one near the Palace Hotel which was saved. Many residents had already evacuated to the beach when the other point entered in the middle of town down
        One man was killed, and two stores, the bakehouse, the public hall, Sunday school and 57 houses were destroyed.

        1941
        1941

        Torquay Fire Brigade

          Torquay Fire Brigade became a member of ‘The Country Fire Brigades’ Board’ with a fire station to be built on the corner of Anderson and Pride streets.

          1944
          1944

          New Post Office

            The new post office and residence was opened by Mr S F Kellock, the Superintendent of Postal Serves. The new building centrally located in Pearl Street, at the top of Gilbert Street.

            1952
            1952

            Torquay Football Club

            The Torquay Football Club was reformed in 1951 by George McCartney with the first under 15’s team playing in yellow windcheaters with a superman motif on the front.

            1953
            1953

            Postal Delivery

            Postal Delivery

            Houses were numbered and postal delivery granted.

            1960
            1960

            Bathing Box

            Bathing Box

            After around sixty years the bathing boxes that had prominently lined the beach start to be removed. By the end of the decade they were all gone. Read more about our bathing boxes.

            1969
            1969

            Rip Curl Beginnings

              Two surfing friends Doug “Claw” Warbrick and Brian Singer started making surfboards in the garage located on The Great Ocean Road. Needing a better location, they found the Old Torquay Bakery in Boston Road setting where their production lifted to 12 boards a week. Later in the year when Alan Green joined them before he went on to establish Quiksilver the following year Rip Curl expanded into the wetsuit trade.
              Soon business was booming, and they took over the adjoining house to make wetsuits. As the company progressed they moved in 1976 to a new facility on Geelong Road, now the medical centre and four years later the move was made across the road to the current Rip Curl HQ.

              1973
              1973

              Medical Centre

              Torquay Lions Club established a temporary medical centre at the local Preschool.

              1994
              1994

              Surf Coast Shire

                The Surf Coast Shire was created, becoming a democratically elected Council on 25 March 1995.