Early in March 1909, the Paraparap and Pettavel Farmers Progress Association discussed the need for a school. They had 18 names ready to start school.

It was decided to ask Mr A. G. White to allow a school to be placed in his paddock. The executors of the late Andrew White agreed to give an acre of land at Pettavel to the Education Department.

After four months of negotiations with the Education Department, the White offer disappeared. Mr E. E. Hendy suggested the only way to be successful in their endeavours is to provide both land and building to lease to the Education Department. The Deppeler brothers offered an acre of land of the association’s choosing from any portion of the 500-acre paddock of “Ravenswood”. They also offered to grub, clear, fence and wire-net the selected site. Once those tasks were completed, they would plant the land with ornamental trees.

Mr E. E. Hendy had bought the late Mr G. F. Hutton’s private school in Villamanta street, Geelong West for 56 pounds. Donations soon reached 60 pounds for the school which helped pay to remove the school to Pettavel and renovate it.

Cr. Hunt, Cr Seward and Mr N. O. Petschel were appointed trustees.

However, the Education Department had not yet given its final endorsement for the establishment of a school!

By the end of July 1909, the Education Department had agreed to establish two new State schools, one at Paraparap and the other at Pettavel. In early August, the Hutton’s school was transported to Paraparap to be renovated and repainted. The second school at Pettavel was established in the Presbyterian Church close to the Pettavel railway station.

Rental discussions between the Presbyterian Church and the Education Department delayed the opening of both schools because the department would not open one without the other. Finally, in November, the Education Department decided to open the schools after the Christmas holidays.

In December, Ralph C Heaton, headmaster of the Apollo Bay and Mt Sabine State Schools, was appointed to the new schools to start in the new year. His previous schools were closed, so the Education Department used the fittings to establish the new schools.

Mr E. E. Hendy had bought Mr Hutton’s school in Villamanta street, Geelong West for 56 pounds. Donations soon reached 60 pounds for the school which helped pay to remove the school to Pettavel and renovate it.

Cr. Hunt, Cr Seward and Mr N. O. Petschel were appointed trustees.

However, the Education Department had not yet given its final endorsement for the establishment of a school!