Previous slide
Next slide

Men from the Surf Coast

138 men from the Surf Coast Shire landed on Gallipoli.

24 of these men landed on the first day.

21 men never left the Peninsula.

19 men were killed in action, 2 died of wounds.


the Anzac legend born in blood

Chapter from the book Together They Served 1914-1918, Men & Women who enlisted from the Surf Coast Shire by Cheryl Baulch (2019)

In November 1914 forty-six of the Shire’s young men in the first infantry division of the AIF left Australia. Travelling aboard the HMAT (His Majesty’s Australian Transport) Benalla were fourteen men from the Shire including local lads, Percy Graham (Connewarre) and Jack Cunningham (Anglesea). They were bound for Europe, but with training camps in England being crowded and the Ottoman Empire entering the war, the Australians were disembarked in Egypt.

After four and a half months of training near Cairo, the men of the first Australian Imperial Forces (AIF) sailed not for Europe, but for an obscure piece of Turkish farming land called Gallipoli.

They landed at what is now called Anzac Cove. The landing was like the campaign as a whole, strategically not successful. From the landing came the stories of courage and ingenuity in the face of impossible odds, heroism despite terrible wounds, and extraordinary physical feats in profoundly challenging terrain creating the legendary stories we read today.

In the early hours before dawn on 25 April 1915, the large convoy of ships entered the very calm Aegean sea creating an eerie feeling for those on board.


Previous slide
Next slide

The first wave to land on the shore were men from the 3rd Brigade. Six companies from the 9th, 10th and 11th Battalions formed in Queensland, South Australia and Western Australia headed towards the peninsula. Turkish soldiers opened fire on the boats, but the troops were already ashore at Beach Z, called Ari Burnu at the time, later to be renamed Anzac Cove by the Turkish Government. The second six companies from the 3rd Brigade landed while it was still dark, the destroyers coming close to shore to disembark the troops, now under fire.

Twenty four men from within the current Surf Coast Shire boundary landed on the shores of Gallipoli that day. Three died during the landing – Leslie Bailey, grocer’s salesman from Torquay, Robert Wilson, a driver from Winchelsea and William Fuller a Connewarre farmer.

By the time the fighting ended, eight months later, over 8000 Australians lay dead amongst the steep ridges and gullies of the Gallipoli Peninsula. Eighteen men from the Shire were amongst them.

Percy Graham 8th Infantry Battalion, was one of the many Victorians who had swarmed down cargo nets, into longboats, to be towed to the beach we now call Anzac Cove at Gallipoli. He took part in the ANZAC landing on 25 April 1915, as part of the second wave. His diary describes his experiences in those first seven days before his death on the slopes.

Sunday 25th – Moving when we woke up at 3 a.m., had breakfast at 4 a.m. and were anchored at 6 a.m. Could hear the guns and rifles then. About eleven boats and six warships altogether. Started to land at 8.30 a.m. Came off on destroyers and were fired on by Turks, one chap injured on board; left destroyers and got on to launches and got within a chain of the shore and then had to jump out and wade ashore. As soon as we were all ashore and started over the hills and were very soon under fire and were under it all day; makes a fellow pretty scared to start. Fighting all day but I couldn’t get a sight of Turks. Six of our officers killed and seven wounded and a fair few men. Had to leave our packs and so have to sleep without over-coat or waterproof.
Monday 26th – Had no sleep last night firing all night and had to entrench; got lost from own company and was with A Coy all day in trenches; a stiff engagement on our left but nothing for us to do. Artillery landed and was soon posting the Turks batteries and trenches, and the war boats are doing the same. Joined by own company at dusk. Only one officer of our Coy left the others killed or wounded.
Tuesday 27th – No sleep again last night and feeling very tired; still fighting but back behind the firing line today. Digging trenches all day for the supports.
Wednesday 28th – On guard last night and got about 2½ hours sleep. Were afraid that enemy would break through our lines and everybody was on the watch all night. They did charge our trenches along from me a bit but were driven back. It is a big battle and firing is going on all the time. The enemy is using nearly all explosive bullets. Heard that a submarine had sunk a Turk warship. Seven warships still standing by and helping us. Got an overcoat last night but it is still very cold at night. Men are used to firing now and are lying in trenches reading and playing cards and sleeping.
Thursday 29th – Still fighting. C. Coy is acting as supports. Have to go out of the support trenches each night and be about ten yards behind the firing line and bullets come pretty close at times. Warships still with us and bombard the forts on the other side of peninsular and put shrapnel on to the Turks in the trenches.
Friday 30th – A quiet night and awful cold; got my pack and everything in it; a bullet right through it and spoilt the waterproof sheet. Got relieved from the trenches today and went down to the beach and dug ourselves in for a spell.
May 1st – Had a good sleep last night and lay about all day; counted over 200 shrapnel shells burst inside an hour but nearly all out to sea and didn’t do any damage.
Sunday 2nd – Back to trenches today left about 10 a.m.”
This was Percy’s last entry. The 8th Brigade had been resting and remaining on reserve near the beach for a couple of days before returning to the trenches at Lone Pine. Sometime after 10 a.m. he was killed in action on that day.



On 19 May 1915, the Turkish defenders launched an assault on the Anzac line, aiming to drive the invading allies into the sea. They had bombed and attacked the position killing many Australians and secured a section of the trench at Courtney’s Post. Albert Jacka (Modewarre) was guarding one end of the trench, firing shots at the Turks, stopping them from moving further forward to the communications trench. After a futile attempt to move forward with three other men, Jacka decided the best strategy was for him to take the trench alone. Creeping into ‘No Man’s Land’, Jacka waited for his comrades to create a diversion, and he then jumped into the trench and shot five Turks, bayoneted two and took three prisoners. When his Commanding Officer approached the trench at dawn he found Jacka with the prisoners and the dead bodies with an unlit cigarette in his mouth. Jacka said, “Well, I got the beggars, sir”. Jacka was awarded the Victoria Cross for his remarkable act of courage – the first to be awarded to any member of the AIF.

Jack Cunningham trained as a mechanical engineer before joining the Cheetham Salt Works in 1906 where his father was one of the founders of the company. Jack was one of the original ‘lads’ who challenged Aireys Inlet on 28 December 1910 to a rowing race. The first ‘competition’ was held on the Anglesea River on 3 January 1911, and after several years it became an annual rowing regatta held on New Year’s Day, a tradition which continues today. Jack was allocated to the Automobile Corps, and his diary indicates he arrived in Egypt via the HMAT Benalla. However his service record states he left a few days later on the HMAT Orvieto. After further training in Cairo, Jack too headed off for Gallipoli.

Jack sailed on the Saldanha to Lemnos, a horse boat with only iron decks. While the other boats set sail for Gallipoli, Jack’s unit stayed behind until 1 May when they proceeded to Gaba Tepe. “From April 26th to May 4th………a great lot of transport in the bay and warships, torpedo boats, destroyers, balloon ship and aeroplane ship with two water planes aboard. The “Queen Elizabeth” was firing as we passed her near the shore. We were anchored quite close to the shore for the first two days and could see everything going on land. All night there was a continuous boom of guns from our battleships and a continuous row of rifle fire along the cliffs. Sometimes there is a calm for a few hours then all of a sudden it starts again and goes for hours. Yesterday we had quite an exciting time as shells from either Chanak fort or the ship ‘Goeben’ started to fall in the bay among the transports. … As the shells were so close to us and other boats we have now moved out about another mile from the shore …”

“From May 4th to May 8th. Since we moved out things have been fairly quiet except on May 5th afternoon an aeroplane came along flying very high, and at first, we did not take any notice of it as we have 3 of them flying every day, but suddenly on looking through the glasses, we saw black crosses on it showing it was German. It passed nearly over us, and then our battleships started firing on it, so it cleared out. Last night after dinner we saw another flying high and saw through the glasses it was the German again. It came along and then slightly turned its direction and sailed clean over our ships. One felt awfully helpless as you could do nothing and suddenly it dropped three bombs, two of which missed our boat by about 50 yards and exploded in the sea. The concussion of one killed a big fish which came up to the surface. The aeroplane then turned and went back again. Today the Captain has had sandbags put on top of the wireless room and on top of the bridge, and we have five picked rifle shots ready now in case it comes back which of course it will – probably every day. They have taken all our officers on shore now except Major Holdsworth, Captain Stevenson, and myself. We have on the ship about 190 men and 200 horses. I wish we could get ashore. It’s rotten waiting here when you can see everything on land but are not actually in it. Still, I suppose, our time will come. We hear every day of fellows we know being killed or wounded.”

For those on board it was still unclear what was going to happen with the horses or when they would disembark. A week later the Divisional Train was reorganised with some, including Jack, returning to Alexandria because the terrain of Gallipoli did not suit the horses. Now stationed at the Mex camp, Jack found the heat irritating and the boredom frustrating. He pushed to be transferred to the Engineers, but his request was declined. In September a new Light Horse squadron was created and Jack was made Troop Leader, but this did not stop his resolve to move to the Engineers. Using connections from home, Jack continued his push for a transfer which was finally granted. He sailed for Gallipoli at the end of October joining others in ‘Shrapnel Gully’. The next day he checked out the rabbit warren-like trenches. His job was to fix ‘Leanes’ trenches to house the 6th L. H. and make bomb-proof dugouts, drainage, survey work etc. He “had to draw sketches and estimate materials. Everything is worked by surveys and plans, and you want to be more a civil or mining engineer to grasp the work but I shall battle along and try and pick things up.

At the end of October Australian engineers were tunnelling to undermine Turkish trenches, including a section opposite Johnstone’s Jolly. During the operation there were some men of the 4th Field Company who were killed. When a fired mine did not break through to open air the poisonous gas left by the explosion remained in the tunnel endangering the life of anyone who entered it. To ensure that Tunnel C2 was safe to enter after a mine had just been fired, Lieut. Bowra went down the rope ladder in the shaft leading to it. He didn’t return, and others tried to rescue him, but they too were overcome by the gas. Harold Rodda (Anglesea) was mentioned in despatches for attempting to rescue Bowra. His citation reads: “On 29th October 1915 at ANZAC, for his gallant attempts to rescue Lieutenant Bowra of 4th Field Company Engineers, who was ‘gassed’ at C2 tunnel opposite Johnstone’s Jolly, ANZAC. He twice entered the tunnel in search of Lieutenant Bowra, and only relaxed his efforts when overcome by the fumes himself.”

Jack Cunningham, by the end of November, had moved down to the beach and was put in charge of the water supply for the whole place. The challenge was the cold weather bursting the pipes and everyone was put on water rations. In the first week of December, just as Jack had almost got the water supply working properly, “orders came to build a light pile footbridge out to the S.S. Milo which is about 350 ft. out but all of us doubt if it will stand in rough weather.” … “From Dec. 9th to 12th. Things most unsettled at present. All kinds of rumours floating about. All our ordinary work has been stopped and all men are doing such work as repairing and building new piers, also taking a footbridge out to the Milo and I have to get the Milo cleared and step ladders made all along for men stepping down into boats. Ordnance is packing a lot of stuff up and it looks very much like evacuation although it seems hardly credible. Trevor had tea with us tonight and has now left with his 27th Battalion. He does not know where he is going. I cannot think that the whole is going but at present everything points that way. If we do all have to go, it will mean certain lots being left to the last. I wonder if our lot will be or not, probably we shall as we are on pier work etc. now. If we all go the ones that are left to the last will get Hell. Dec. 12 & 13. Am afraid its evacuation. It’s awful to think of after all the lives that have been lost here. Heard today that our Company will not be the last to go but No. 5 Company are taking it on. I hope they have luck and get through all right. It will be a hard experience though for them as some if not a lot of causalities must occur. We will probably clear out in a few days’ time after we have got everything ready such as piers, Milo footbridge etc. I have nearly got my job finished. We blew out a piece of the side of the Milo this afternoon for No. 5 set of steps. Beach Bill was very active and sent a lot of shots over us while on board but they got no hits. A lot of heavy firing occurred on Russell’s top also greater than any since I have been here and some of them landed on next ridge to ours and tearing large bits out of the cliff, black smoke and seemed pretty big stuff. I feel awfully sick about going. It seems terrible unless there is something behind we do not know anything about. Let us hope so.” 

Jack goes on to describe the preparation of Milo and the other piers ready for the evacuation. He was told that he had to stay until the last day with six others to administer any repairs to piers that might be needed. The Turks had a new gun position that was causing some damage, firing down on them and stopping the work on the piers. Days later Jack describes destroying boilers and pumps and how empty the place was. The weather was calm which helped the evacuation, though a barge had crashed into the pier and that had to be fixed. Jack and his men left Gallipoli on 19 December at 10.45 pm, boarded the El Keira and waited a couple of hours for the last lot to come aboard. They disembarked at Lemnos the next day.

Over eight and a half months, nearly 60,000 Australians came and went from Gallipoli, trying to gain ground on a battlefield that stretched over a mere 400 acres. A total of 8709 Australian men were killed; thousands more were evacuated wounded or sick. 137 men from the Surf Coast Shire landed on Gallipoli, 116 left the peninsula, 50% of them had sustained an injury. There were many acts of bravery, none more rewarded than Albert Jacka (Modewarre) who was awarded the first issued WW1 Victoria Cross, for his bravery on the night of the 19-20 May, 1915, at Courtney’s Post.

During the Gallipoli campaign, Winifred Anna Cameron Gilliland, joined May Tilton serving with the Queen Alexandra’s Imperial Military Nursing Service Reserve in Egypt. By the end of the war she had been recommended for the Royal Red Cross 2nd Class and was awarded Associate of the Royal Red Cross.

Gallipoli is now indelibly part of Australia’s soul. The image of Australians resting in dugouts on cliffs gave the campaign a particular hold on the popular imagination. Out of their adversities and suffering came the legend of the Anzacs and the mystery of its mantra of mateship, resilience, friendship, kindness, humour and irreverence. The legend endures.

Back in Egypt, there was little respite for the troops. Their nightmare was not over, even worse was to follow in the fields of France. At Fromelles in July 1916, in just 24 hours, the Australians suffered 5533 causalities. By the end of that year, 42,270 Australians had been killed or wounded.

Men landing on Gallipoli from the Surf Coast

RankFirstNameMiddleNameLastNameTownUnitService NoFateLanded First Day
Private GeorgeHerbertALLENLorne14th Battalion1328KIA 
Private Alfred ALTMANMt Duneed22nd Infantry Battalion, 3rd Reinforcement1877  
Private Charles ALTMANNMt Duneed24th  Infantry Battalion, Ist Reinforcement1134KIA 
Private GeorgeJohn StewartANDERSONWinchelsea8th Light Horse Regiment, C Squadron544KIA 
Lieutenant Charles ARBLASTERPennyroyal8th Light Horse Regiment, Machine Gun Section  
Lance Corporal LeslieCharlesBAILEYTorquay5th Battalion, C Company401KIAYES
Private WilliamDouglas SwordBAIRDJan Juc4th Light Horse Regiment, 2nd Reinforcement706  
Private AlbertOtwayBAKERAireys InletDivisional Train Post Office Corps449  
Lieutenant (Automobile Corps) EdwardNormanBELCHERAnglesea1st Light Horse Brigade, Headquarters   
LT (Automobile Corps)John BELLAnglesea1st Light Horse Brigade, Headquarters   
PrivateRobertNelsonBENNETTWinchelsea4th Light Horse Regiment, 3rd Reinforcement779  
Private HerbertVictorBENSCHTorquay5th Battalion, 4th Reinforcement1720  
Private GustafCarlBJURSTROMPennyroyal8th Battalion, C Company503 YES
Corporal AlbertEdwardBOXDeans Marsh4th Light Horse Regiment, A Squadron522  
DriverPhillipMarcusBRAHAMWinchelseaAustralian Reserve Park 1, Company 102460  
Private FrederickWilliamBUBBMt Duneed3rd Battalion, A Company101 YES
Acting Quartermaster SergeantPhilipPercivalBUCKLANDTorquay10th Light Horse Regiment, A Squadron102  
PrivateArthur BUDGEWinchelsea8th Battalion, 4th Reinforcement1706  
SapperAlexanderRobert BurtruceBURNSWinchelsea23rd Battalion, B Company4528  
Private StanleyCharlesCALLANDERMt Duneed24th Battalion, 1st Reinforcement1519  
Private GeorgeEricCAMPBELLConnewarre22nd Battalion, B Company499  
Private IvorJamesCAMPBELLConnewarre7th Battalion, 7th Reinforcement2332  
Private PercyStewartCAMPBELLAnglesea21st Battalion, D Company813  
Private JohnJosephCANTWELLFreshwater Creek8th Battalion, C Company368KIAYES
Private DavidJohnCARTERFreshwater Creek2nd Battalion, 8th Reinforcement2591  
Private GeorgeBaylissCARTERLorne23rd Battalion, 1st Reinforcement1582  
Lieutenant WilliamGeorge JamesCATRONMt Duneed8th Battalion, A Company1058KIAYES
Lieutenant JosephEdwardCATRONMt Duneed8th Battalion, 18th Reinforcement  YES
Private SamuelErnestCLISSOLDLorne7th Battalion, 6th Reinforcement2230KIA 
Private John CONNAUGHTONConnewarre4th Battalion, 2nd Reinforcement1485KIA 
Captain JosephTerellCROWLAnglesea8th Light Horse Regiment, Headquarters KIA 
Lieutenant Colonel Alexander (Jack)JacksonCUNNINGHAMAngleseaAutomobile Corps   
Private JohnHaroldDAVIDSONTorquay7th Battalion, 7th Reinforcement2338  
Major ArthurVivianDEEBLEMt Duneed8th Light Horse Regiment, C Squadron   
Private GeorgePercivalDOUGLASSAnglesea5th Battalion, F Company597KIAYES
Private ThomasHenryDOYLEConnewarre8th Battalion, B Company263 YES
Private James DOYLEMt Duneed6th Battalion, 5th Reinforcement1941  
Private BernardJosephDREWRYBambra22nd Battalion, 3rd Reinforcement1994  
Private LeoAmbroseDREWRYBambra23rd Battalion, D Company701  
Private ThomasLeoDWYERWinchelsea8th Light Horse, 2nd Reinforcement610KIA 
Private ArthurFrancis GordonELKINGTONWinchelsea6th Battalion, D Company428KIAYES
DriverStanleyWarnesEVANSAnglesea5th Battalion, F Company996 YES
Private WilliamMartinFENDERWinchelsea6th Light Horse Regiment, B Squadron260  
2/Lieutenant WilliamSeymourFINLAYAnglesea24th Battalion, 2nd Reinforcement KIA 
Private WilliamJacobFULLERConnewarre5th Battalion, 1st Reinforcement1139KIAYES
Lieutenant BrianSeymourGAYNORLorne1st Divisional Ammunition Column, 2nd and 3rd Reinforcements 
Private ArthurJohnGOSNEYWinchelsea8th Battalion, E Company560KIAYES
Private PercyGeorgeGRAHAMConnewarre8th Battalion, C Company372KIAYES
Private WilliamRichardGRANTDeans Marsh8th Battalion, B Company185 YES
GunnerWalterJamesGRANTTorquay2nd Field Artillery Brigade, Battery 51051  
Private ThomasMalcolmGRANTWinchelsea13th Light Horse Regiment, 1st Reinforcement644  
Private HenryGardinerGREENConnewarre6th Battalion, 1st Reinforcement2178  
PrivateEdwardFritzGUYEWinchelsea8th Battalion, B Company497 YES
Private SamuelLeonardHALECeres8th Light Horse Regiment, 4th Reinforcement826  
Private AlbertClementHALLFreshwater Creek8th Battalion, 5th Reinforcement1952  
Private David HANDSWinchelsea6th Battalion, 5th Reinforcement1962  
Private Alexander HARPERPennyroyal2nd Field Ambulance, Reinforcement 116136  
Private CharlesThomasHARRISModewarre23rd Battalion, B Company356  
Private Charles HARRISBambra21st Battalion, D Company905  
Private RussellHighfieldHAWSEFreshwater Creek23rd Battalion, C Company967KIA 
Private EdwardPercivalHENDYModewarre8th Light Horse Regiment, C Squadron541KIA 
Private WilliamValentineHERBERTLorne9th Light Horse Regiment, B Squadron622  
Private WilliamErnestHIGGINSDeans Marsh14th Battalion, 8th Reinforcement2599  
Private Harry HOSKINWinchelsea8th Light Horse Regiment, 5th Reinforcement897KIA 
Private CharlesJamesHOWARDDeans Marsh24th Battalion, Headquarters1332  
Private GeorgeThomasHUNTERModewarre13th Light Horse Regiment, B Squadron260  
Private LeslieNormanHURSTAnglesea4th Light Horse Regiment, C Squadron546  
Private Albert JACKAModewarre14th Battalion, D Company465  
Private William JACKAModewarre23rd Battalion, D Company1230  
PrivatePhilipArthurJACKSONWinchelsea21st Battalion, 3rd Reinforcement1951KIA 
Lance Corporal ArthurJosephJOHNSONMt Moriac13th Light Horse Regiment, A Squadron279  
Private CyrilPatrickKEENANWinchelsea6th Battalion, 3rd Reinforcement1568  
SignallerClifton KILPATRICKLorne7th Light Horse Regiment, Headquarters5  
Lieutenant JamesCarstairsKININMONTHWinchelseaAuto Corps, 1st Divisional Train Head Quarters   
Private Frank MACFARLANETorquay21st Battalion, 2nd Reinforcement1748  
Sergeant HerbertJamesMARENDAZWaurn Ponds4th Light Horse Regiment, A Squadron158  
Corporal Norman MARSHALLAnglesea5th Battalion, F Company562 YES
2nd LieutenantErnestAlbertMATTHEWSBarrabool Hills9th Light Horse Regiment, 17th Reinforcement454  
Private William McADAMBarrabool Hills8th Battalion, Headquarters20 YES
Private JohnJamesMcCALLAMTorquay3rd Battalion, 3rd Reinforcement1587  
Private JohnAlexMCDONALDConnewarre6th Battalion, 1st Reinforcements2145KIA 
Private NormanLeo LawrenceMcDONALDConnewarre8th Light Horse Regiment, A Squadron71  
Private HenryDonaldMcDONALDDeans Marsh8th Battalion, 4th Reinforcement1779  
Private RobertPeterMcINTYREWinchelsea5th Battalion, F Company624 YES
Private HenryDonaldMcLEANJan Juc21st Battalion, 1st Reinforcement1556KIA 
Private WilliamStewartMcLEANJan Juc4th FAB  (Field Artillery Brigade)266  
Private JohnThomasMcLEANJan Juc22nd Battalion, 2nd Reinforcement1755  
Private Nathaniel McWILLIAMLorne24th Battalion B Company481  
Private PercyCharlesMOOREDeans Marsh5th Battalion, 3rd Reinforcement1576  
Private GordonJohnMOOREDeans Marsh5th Battalion, 6th Reinforcement2274  
Captain StanleyAllenMOUNTJOYLorne8th Light Horse Regiment, Headquarters   
Private PercyLionel HarwoodMOUNTJOYDeans Marsh8th Light Horse Regiment, A Squadron102  
Private AndrewReubenMOUSLEYBambra11th Battalion, 7th Reinforcement2485  
Private EricMalcomMOUSLEYBambra14th Battalion, 6th Reinforcement2276  
Private NeilJosephMUNDAYTorquay8th Battalion, B Company225 YES
Private JamesJosephMUNDAYTorquay4th Light Horse Regiment, A Squadron142  
Private JosephJamesMURPHYWinchelsea4th Light Horse Regiment, 3rd Reinforcement798  
Private AllanJohnNAYLORAnglesea14th Battalion, 7th Reinforcement2416  
Private RogerEbden HarcourtPALMERWinchelsea8th Light Horse Regiment, A Squadron41KIA 
Corporal WilliamHenryPETRASSAnglesea22nd Battalion Head-Quarters Staff1173  
Private AlfredGeorgePILLEYWinchelsea24th Battalion, B Company483KIA 
Private AllanMasonPRIMEPennyroyal24th Battalion, 2nd Reinforcement1720  
Air Mechanic WilliamCharlesRAYMENTMt Duneed30th Squadron, 1st Reinforcement AFC  (Australian Flying Corps)49  
Private CharlesMurdochRICHESDeans Marsh3rd Light Horse Brigade, Headquarters10  
Captain HaroldWilliamRIGGALLAngleseaField Artillery Brigade 2, Reinforcement 2 and Reinforcement 3 
Sergeant HaroldCliftonRODDAAnglesea22nd Infantry Battalion, B Company452  
Private Enoch ROMAROLorne23rd Battalion, 1st Reinforcement1596  
Private PercyFrederickSAVAGEMt Moriac8th Light Horse Regiment, 2nd Reinforcement720  
Private LeslieGeorgeSCHMIDTLorne14th Battalion, B Company653  
DriverCharlesPattersonSCOTTMt Duneed2nd Field Artillery Brigade, Battery 51111  
2nd LieutenantJosephHenrySLATERAnglesea22nd Battalion, D Company KIA 
Private WilliamCedricSMITHTorquay7th Battalion, 8th Reinforcement2665  
Private RobertClaude NeilSMITHERSLorne5th Battalion, 7th Reinforcement2454KIA 
Private WalterThomasSMITHERSLorne9th Battalion, 5th Reinforcement2020  
Private RichardHihoSMITHERSLorne14th Battalion, 7th Reinforcement2437  
Private GeorgeAllenSTEWARTMt Duneed14th Battalion, 6th Reinforcement2216  
Sergeant CharlesMurraySTORRERTorquay4th Light Horse Regiment, A Squadron180KIA 
Private Leslie SWAYNDeans Marsh7th Battalion, 2nd Reinforcement1421  
Private ArthurReginaldTAYLORTorquay5th Battalion, F Company530 YES
Private FrederickThomasTAYLORLorne16th Battalion1527  
Sergeant CookStephen (Steve)UptonTIMEWELLBarrabool Hills16th Battalion, B Company708  
DriverHarold TOMAMICHELJan JucLight Horse Brigade Train 35142  
Private AlbertEdwardTOWNSENDMoriac7th Battalion, 6th Reinforcement2193KIA 
Private CharlesLester GordonTREWINDeans Marsh4th Light Horse Regiment, C Squadron532  
DriverJamesGordonTYLERTorquay6th Field Ambulance, Section A3225  
Private HenryAlexanderVIENETCeres2nd Australian General Hospital, Special Reinforcements6075  
Private JohnHutchison GordonVOLUMGnarwarre5th Battalion, F Company525 YES
Lieutenant WilliamRonaldsonVOLUMGnarwarre5th Battalion, F Company526 YES
Private HarryRaymondWALTERSMt Duneed6th Field Ambulance, Section A3226KIA 
Private Daniel WELLINGTONJan Juc7th Battalion, 6th Reinforcement2223KIA 
DriverPercyWarnerWELLSWinchelsea2nd Field Artillery Brigade,  Ammunition Column1531KIA 
Private EdmundReginaldWHITTERONAnglesea14th Battalion, C Company402KIA 
Private RobertMcLauchlanWILSONWinchelsea8th Battalion, B Company216KIAYES
Sergeant JamesEdwardWILSONWinchelseaField Artillery Brigade 3, Military District 42140  
Private HerbertJohann AlfredWINKLERWensleydale13th Light Horse Regiment, A Squadron488  
Private CharlesLyleYOUNGAnglesea8th Light Horse Regiment, B Squadron538KIA 
Driver FrankHaroldYOUNGWinchelseaField Artillery Brigade 1, Battery 1136