Dr Alexander Thomson (1800-1866), one of Geelong’s early settlers and first Geelong mayor organised German immigrants and their family to come to Victoria aboard the Emmy in 1849 and establish a German village near Geelong. The area became known as Germantown and its name changed during WW1 to Grovedale.
The new settlers established market gardens and vineyards on their newly purchased land. While the immigrants came from areas across Germany, most of the new settlers were Lutherans from a small area in Prussia on the River Oder. Having decided that this new life was better than Germany they encouraged other family members and friends to join them in the new colony.
Initially church services were held in homes until 1854 when the community purchased land in Church Street for a school with a cemetery located beside it. Services were then held in the school until 1859 when a Lutheran Church was built.
Many of the headstones have eroded with time. Some of the older headstone’s inscriptions are in German and are headed Hier Ruhet in Gott which means Here Rests in God. The cemetery is the final resting place of the Bieske, Baensch, Kerger, Winter and Boehm families.
Grovedale (Germantown) Cemetery Deceased Search
A memorial plays an important part in the burial process. It creates a permanent record of the burial site, which becomes a place where memories can be revisited, emotions explored, as well as a place where future generations can visit in person or online.
Locally, the Geelong Cemeteries Trust manages the Mount Duneed and Grovedale cemeteries. You can search for a deceased person at those cemeteries through their website. https://www.gct.net.au/deceased-search/